Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Dwolla Experiment



I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of Credit Card companies and big banks. But the only way to accept money online is to use something like PayPal or Google Checkout. They're tied very closely to the banks and credit card companies. They both charge exactly the same, 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction. And they're all notorious for censorship, withholding money and privacy concerns. At the same time I don't want to prevent someone from buying my zines. I want to make it as easy as possible, so I'll be offering checkouts through both Paypal and Google Checkout. That should cover 90% of the people out there that buy things online.

But! If you're like me, and don't like getting fleeced by the banks & CC companies and their monopolistic hold on e-commerce, I suggest you check out Dwolla [and create an account now!] I've been doing some research and I find, so far, that they're a pretty solid company. They're the closest thing I've found to using CASH online. They charge a flat-rate of $0.25 per transaction, sort of. I say "sort of" because micro-transactions less than $10 are free. See that? Free. Since my zine is going to be way less than $10 (we're currenntly looking at $3.50 in the US, shipped, each.) I'll save at least $0.33 if you use Dwolla. In fact, I want to pass a bit of that savings to you. When you pre-purchase your copy of Crawl! with Dwolla, it'll be at the reduced price of $3.25. It's my incentive to get more people on-board.

There's a catch. Well, there's a few. One, you have to create a Dwolla account, and add your banking information to transfer funds which takes a day to verify. This is no different than creating a Paypal, Amazon or Google Wallet account. But I know people are wary about such things. Two, this isn't available outside the US, which is a bummer. Finally, Dwolla is new company and they don't have the fancy click and paste features to make "Buy now" buttons either. So when you make a purchase with Dwolla, it'll take you to a special hub (this page to be exact!) So  if you're daring and willing, you can try it and pre-order your copy of Crawl! No.1 now by following these instructions after clicking the orange Pay with Dwolla button (and save a quarter!):
  • First confirm the price, $3.25 each.
  • Select Single Payment. 
  • Enter your name, snail mail, and email address in the Memo or Details window. 
  • Complete transaction.

Pay with DWOLLA

Or you can wait until next Monday, when the pre-sale officially starts.

Please leave me comments below, or contact me directly at crawl@straycouches.com if you have any questions or concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment