This is how I make the physical zines.
I do things factory style, which means I don't make each zine one at a time, I systematically do all the steps in batches. It's faster, it becomes mindless work, so you can watch TV, even read, or think about other things while you crank out a zillion zines.
2. Staple. Staple first! It keeps the pages straight. I staple them all, and put them all in a pile.
3. Fold using my Zine-Fold-o-Matic(tm) (see below.) It's easier than eye-balling, and it gets a basic fold in pretty much the right spot, and it's not going to cause carpal tunnel syndrome from folding, pressing. Again, stack them all.
| Zine fits between the flaps. Not exactly, but close. You need some play. |
| I bow it like this to make sure it's centered. This is the most important part. |
| Fold! I use my whole hand so I don't get cramps or RSI. |
| Shot Glass for a harder edge |
| Rule for scale, I used a physical zine for the measurements. Four scores. There will be a gap between the edges of the zine and the plastic-folder-thing. This is OK. |
| This is to show the scores. I cut through one side, and only one side. You don't want to make the flaps too big, or it won't fold. Or too small, it'll kinks the pages. |
P.S. #7 is in layout.
Bonus Tips: Get a stamp for your return address and use address labels for the recipient. Writing out addresses separately sucks. I did hand label a few, but if there is more than 1 or 2, I always cut and paste their address into a template, and print.
Great info Dak.
ReplyDeleteVery neat, I would never have thought of the Zine-o-Matic!
ReplyDeleteGreat folding idea! Also, I love the address labels you use on your envelopes. I save them along with my 'zines in comic book boards/bags.
ReplyDeleteAwww. Pealing back the Veil of Mystery on your methods is somewhat disappointing to me. I had always pictured "lovingly hand-crafted" being the basis of your production process.
ReplyDeleteI am, however, the recipient of a handwritten label. Behold me and weep with envy those of you relegated to the tender mercies of the machine-god labeling method.
Interesting use of a shot glass. It might affect zine quality control, but dammit, there's a drinking game in there somewhere.
ReplyDeleteI did fail to mention any kind of drinking, but if you look at the Shot Glass pic, there's a can of Tecate. Yes, it's open. Yes, I was drinking while taking pics. There are also coozies on the table, one for Lone Star and another of Bud Light.
DeleteCan you get Zine-fold-o-matics(tm) in other styles other than the HOMES FOR SALE one? I'd quite like one: maybe in a different colour...
ReplyDeleteLove the zine-o-matic; many happy memories of my childhood with dad & I driving around the neighborhood with razor blades to slash those signs off the telephone poles.
ReplyDelete